In 1769, Hugh Baillie, a Scotsman, and
a partner of George Walker, built a large trade in fish and fur hides and
salted salmon. Baillie sold his property to John Shoolbred, a merchant
from London. In 1773 Shoolbred established the first permanent settlement
on the Restigouche. His agent, William Smith, brought 8 Aberdeen fisherman
(two of which were John Duncan and Robert Adams) and their families and
the above salmon fishing industry was set in place..
From 1785 to 1787, Shoolbred leased the property at Old Mission Point to Samuel Lee..then in 1788, Shoolbred lost his title to the land and Samuel Lee obtained a direct grant to it.
Shortly after, Lee set aside some land for the Old Athol House Cemetery about 1790..which is still still there behind the Atholville Pulp Mill. The oldest stone reads 1791.
The Caledonian Society of Restigouche put the history of the Cemetary together for the Memorial Service, held in 1972.. They have done a remarkable amount of work in and around this cemetery in restoring stones to as close as their original state as possible..
Athol House Cemetery
CHURCH OF STE ANNE OF RESTIGOUCHE
Where my father, Maurice Doyle Jr., is buried, next to the river
In 1794, Alexander Ferguson, a Scotsman from Perth, Scotland, settled in Restigouche and his brother Robert joined him there two years later.
Alexander died in 1803 and Robert carried on. He bought land from Samuel Lee's widow which included, Old Mission Point, Ferguson Point this is all pretty well known today as Atholville, NB. In 1812, Robert built a residence and store which was known as Athol House. It was a landmark for little over 80 years..In 1895 or 1896 it was completely destroyed by fire. Athol House was within walking distance from the
Athol House Cemetery.
The Athol House church was used until the Presbyterian Church was built in Campbellton in 1834.
It is beleived, Rev John Young, came to this Athol House community around 1808. He was a man of 6 foot 6 inches, known to have the "eye of a hawk" and he passed away at age 66.
HEY !!! YOU ARE NOT DONE YET, TWO MORE PAGES HERE SO
Follow this link to see the rest of the CAMPBELLTON history and pictures
Click to return
This page was designed by Irene Doyle